Tips on how to succeed in biology
- Studying Biology can get frustrating at times because there is so much to learn in
a short period of time. Always come prepared to class. Read over the material before
the teacher goes over it so it's more of a review when you're in your biology class.
That way, you'll have a jump start on the subject and be able to ask educated questions
in class if you don't understand something your biology teacher says.
- Try to spend between 4-6 hours a week on your own reviewing your Biology material.
Spending 1 hour a day is much better than spending 2 or 3 hours in two days. You'll
remember the material a lot better, it wont get boring as fast, which means you are
less likely to get frustrated.
- Spend time reviewing your notes from biology class and supplement that with the book
after the lecture from your teacher. That should be the third time you've looked
at the material so it should be pretty easy to understand the material at this point.
- One of the biggest mistakes students make when trying to study biology is the focus
too much on just memorizing and not really understanding what the material means.
Get an overall understanding of the subject matter at hand. Understand why the heart
works the way it does, as opposed to just memorizing what it does. That way, you
memorize less, but are able to do more because you can apply the core knowledge you
have when trying to work through biology problems.
- A week before the test is not when you should start studying. Cramming for biology
doesn't work for most students so stay on top of the material throughout the semester.
If you decide to cram, you may get very stressed which will cause you to study in
much more inefficient manner. Make flash cards as you learn the material and go over
them periodically. You can also work on flash cards with your friends. It's a much
less frustrating study method than cramming a few days before the exam.
Below you will find some sample biology problems you may see on one of your exams.
If you would like one of our San Diego Tutor educational specialists to go over the
answers with you, please send your answers to email@example.com
and one of our representatives will contact you.
For the following biology questions, please answer True or False.
1) Human blood is basic with a pH of 7.4.
2) Adaptive radiation explains how a favorable genetic trait can increase in frequency
in a population.
3) Decomposition is probably the reason a stream is free of pollutants just a few
miles downstream of a point where some sewage was dumped.
4)When it rain mixes with chemicals in the air, it’s then called acid rain. This
effect will increase the pH of the fresh water located in steams.
5)The definition of a species is a group of organisms that can interbreed with each
other but do not interbreed with others.